FOUNDATION FOR THEOLOGICAL EDUCATION IN SOUTHEAST ASIA
POSTION DESCRIPTION: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
START DATE: October 1, 2022
The Foundation for Theological Education in Southeast Asia (FTESEA) has, for over eighty years, been supporting the on-going development of theological thought and education in China and Southeast Asia and recently has expanded that mission to include all of Asia and the Pacific. Its priorities, in addition to disbursing annual grants, include a commitment to networking, facilitating, and initiating programs in contextual theological education focused on faculty development and women’s leadership and the enhancement of library and electronic information services.i
FTESEA is seeking an Executive Director, located in the United States, who will work with the Board of Trustees of the Foundation to
• Establish and implement a plan of action and procedures through which the expanded mission and priorities might be realized.
• Attend to or ensure that the relationships with FTESEA’s ecumenical associatesii continue to be nurtured and that such associates are kept aware of the direction of the Foundation’s process in visioning and priorities.
• Give leadership to the committees of the Board to ensure that ongoing projects are progressing in a timely manner.
• Oversee the annual cycle of administrative duties, including the process of receiving and disbursing grant requests. This includes coordinating their disbursement with the Treasurer and Accountant thus ensuring this work is carried out in a competent and timely manner. The ED will also oversee the Treasurer and Accountant and any other future staff.
The person appointed will be a team player who has
• Knowledge of the history of ecumenical work in Asia including FTESEA’s work in Asia, particularly someone who knows the complexity of theological education within Asia.
• Experience in working with a volunteer, working board, sensitive regarding timely decision-making in a complex system of relationships.
• Proven ability as an innovative and generative thinker in relation to the mission and vision of FTESEA.
• Proven skills in strategic planning and evaluation/assessment gained from experience in leading an organization through a transition period or having been part of a leadership team whose organization has experienced transition.
• A record of experience with FTESEA’s historical associates and with the organizations, associations, and institutes, ecumenical and theological, that FTESEA works with within the Asian context.
• Doctorate in one of the disciplines of theological education
• Experience teaching in a post-graduate program in a theological school and/or holding a leadership position in an international Christian organization with responsibility for theological education
• Leadership experience with not-for-profit boards,
• An aptitude for developing an annual budget, disbursing approved grants, and overseeing a financial system
• Computer skills including Microsoft Office, Spreadsheets, Power Point, Email and Web
• Ability to communicate in one or more Asian languages, an asset
• Organized, personable, and possessing intercultural skills with a proven record of networking in a diversity of cultural settings
• Willingness and ability to travel especially travel associated with long-haul flights
Term and Compensation: The initial appointment is for three years, renewable after each successful performance review. Salary is comparable to that of a full professor in an ATS accredited institution in North America. Compensation includes pension, medical insurance, and cost of relocation.
Interested candidates should provide a CV, a letter of interest (outlining relevant experience and qualifications), and the names and contact information (e-mail and phone) for three references. The references provided should include a person with knowledge/experience of the applicant’s leadership experience and work in theological education in Asia, a person with
knowledge/experience of the applicant’s capacity as an administrator, and a personal reference. FTESEA reserves the right to consult with additional references for finalists. Application materials should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin on February 1, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled.
i FTESEA’s full Mission, Vision and Priorities statement is accessible on its website (https://www.ftesea.org/).
ii Partial list of ecumenical associates: The Association for Theological Education in South East Asia, Nanjing Union Theological Seminary and other seminaries related to the China Christian Counsel/Three-Self Patriotic Movement, The Ecumenical Institute and Ecumenical Theological Education program of the World Council of Churches, The Association for Theological Education in Myanmar, The Association of Theological Schools in Indonesia, The Association of Theological Schools in Indonesia, The South Pacific Association of Theological Schools, The South Asia Theological Research Institute of the Senate of Serampore College, The Program on Theology and Cultures in Asia, The Asian Women's Resource Center for Culture and Theology, The Christian Conference of Asia, Globethics, F01um of Asian Theological Librarians.